Monday, January 14, 2008

The squeamish may want to avert their eyes

Consider this a literary experiment. The idea to attempt a weekly serial came to me a little more than a week ago, born out of the realization that I've never written anything in which I didn't have an ending firmly established in the dark recesses of my mind prior to putting fingers to keyboard. So the idea of starting a story with no idea as to where it would end up appealed to me as a way to challenge myself and shake up my writing routine.

To make matters interesting (and to hold my feet to the proverbial fire, since I'm notoriously undisciplined, production-wise) I'm doing it in public, for all the world to see. Here are the ground rules: 1) I've got a week to produce each installment, roughly a thousand words in length. That's setting the bar pretty low, I know, but I've seen online comics crash and burn because they bit off more than they could chew, and didn't want to repeat that mistake. Also, this is a side experiment. I've still got my regular writing projects to attend to; 2) No revisions once posted, other than typos, misspellings, etc. In other words, I can't go back and rewrite scene three to put a gun in the desk drawer if I suddenly realize I need one for scene 28. I'm flying live without a net here, folks, and damn well better get it right the first time; 3) No pre-set length. I don't know where this is going, which is the whole point. It may turn out to be a short story (which I seriously doubt--nothing I write is short) or it could be a novel. Most likely somewhere in between. Or it may crash and burn a horrible, misguided death somewhere between here and there. That's why it's an experiment.

So kick back, pop open a cold one and enjoy the floor show.

MEMORY

No comments: